Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Kids Skiing

I took Owen out skiing again after school early in April.  It was after spring break in Vancouver, so the slopes were pretty empty even though the conditions were decent.  He had a lot of fun and this time we branched off of the beginner run and went down a "real" green trail and rode the chair lift for the first time!   I have some video of him sliding off a "jump", that I'll update this post with later.

Here's the man in action
 

 Soaring!

Our view that morning...
 

Later in the month, we decided to take the kids up for some individual lessons.  The evening we chose unfortunately turned out to be pretty warm and drizzly, so Allison and I didn't ski, but the kids did great with their lessons. It was Molly's first time on skis and she was so excited to do this.  In the end, I think her instructor just may have had even more fun teaching Molly.  She's such a character.


Allison and Molly before the lesson.
 

Molly and Owen...


With their instructors...


Molly after a successful slide!


Molly with her instructor at the end of her lesson.  She practiced her stance, pizza turn... stopping and go-ing!

Molly and I after her lesson!
 

I didn't get any pictures of Owen because he and his instructor went off to a hill nearby to work.  I am so happy that we got him this lesson this season though.  When he and I would go skiing, he did "ok", but still struggled with some technique and confidence.  With the coaching from his instructor, he picked up formal skills that I wasn't able to teach him, and improved so much in just 2 hours, it was amazing.  At the end of his lesson, he and his instructor went down a blue trail!  I was so proud of him!  I can't wait to go again next season! 

No comments: