Sunday, July 20, 2008

New Car

With a new little person on the way, I decided it was time to start looking for a little bit larger car to replace the Jetta. My primary vehicle size criterea was a back seat that would be large enough to put a rear facing carseat behind the driver, and not be eating the steering wheel. I preferred a manual shift sport sedan and wanted to get something a little bit different than the ever present Camry or Accord. The two vehicle models I narrowed the long list down to were the Infiniti G35 and the Acura TL. Then I found a certified used 07 Acura TL Type S at a local Piazza Acura dealer. After driving this car, I found it to be a very nice compromise between luxury and sport sedan.... and I was hooked.

The new TL body style was introduced in 2004, and it has been the best selling Acura ever. This Type S sport model was first introduced in this generation of the TL in 2007. The interior space is very nice, and the rear passenger room is just about best in class. This trim level had no options, so the car is very well equipped with some facinating electronics and driving aids.


There are several major features that set this car apart from the base model TL. First, the 3.5 lit. engine making 286hp on full tilt, running through a 6spd manual shift and a limited slip front end. For the car folks, I'm amazed at just how well the front diff cuts out torque steer known to plague front driver cars. The suspension is also re-tuned for improved handling using larger sway bars and stiffer dampers. The front brakes discs are almost an inch larger than stock and use 4 piston brembo calipers. The quad exhaust tips are only available on this model, as are the gray rims.

So far, I've put about 700 miles on the car and I love it. With the manual transmission, highway mileage is a claimed 29mpg. I'm very happy to report that with mixed highway/city driving and more than a few grin enducing launches, I averaged 25mpg on my first and second tank. In comparison, the turbo Jetta averaged 28mpg overall, so for the extra size and power of this car, I'm very pleased with the economy.

Every time I move the car in the driveway, Owen wants to ride in the "seat next to you daddy!".

2 comments:

Jessica Baer said...

Ooh! Nice car! Have fun with the standard....I miss it a ton.

Sarah said...

Mmmmm, very pretty :)