Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Big Toe's and cantaloupe

It was a beautiful day today. Started out the morning early with a visit to the podiatrist to get my big toe hacked up. It's a long story, but I jammed it changing tires on my car last winter and ended up losing a nail. It regrew, but with a twisted mind of it's own..... hey let's grow over here around the corner..... Please stop laughing, because it's just not funny. It was the best when Owen would jump on my foot for a ride around the kitchen.

Anyhow, as I'm chatting with the doc about what I do, my wonderful family, where we live, what's going on in life, he's jabbing this 8" needle in my toe to numb it. The cold spray helps, but not that much. So I'm white knuckling on the chair arms staring at the ceiling tiles... and there's that feeling. At this point I'm PO'd because I was actually interested to see what he was going to do, but hey, how can you pay attention when you're sweating bullets trying to maintain consciousness. It brought back some bad memories of an experience in a vet office in Binghamton. 5 minutes later, problem solved. Chemical is in place to correct my misbehaving nail forever more and I'm off to work harboring the secret that I'm sporting a sexy purple bandage behind that shoe.

When Owen strolled into the house tonight he announced big plans to search out the cricket in the garage that was making noise. We found it. It was fish bait big..

I suggested to Owen that we find a saddle to ride it around and he told me I was silly, then like any self respecting 3-1/2 year old boy, he tried to squish it...... I intervened as the great and powerful protector of crickets.... Our large singing friend would live to see another day.

The garden itself isn't very pretty right now, but what's coming out of it has been.

The Roma plants are producing like crazy. We picked up another 1/2 peck over at Weavers this past weekend to complement our own and Allison made the best batch of sauce ever. My watermelon hill only produced one melon, but it looks great. The cantaloupe plant produced two. This one was ripe today...

The numbness is almost gone... off to find the advil.

4 comments:

saraispace said...

haha Josh... so glad you decided to FINALLY see a physician besides a gynecologist ;) And so proud, you didn't fall backwards into a surgical tray...because THAT hasn't happened before (cough) in a vet's office...

The Horvath's said...

Sarah, just for your information, I am proud to say that I have established a primary physician here in Reading. So no, I don't have to rely on my favorite GYN to take care of me. Allison reminded me to say that she set this up and I didn't do it myself. (i think she then said something about being a stupid man)

Sarah said...

I knew it. I knew it wasn't you that actually set it up.

~Becki~ said...

Ha! I seem to recall getting a little woosy in that vet office as well...but I picked a few actual OR room to actually hit the floor in! Well, they keep them so darn hot and I was wearing that hood.... :p

Hope you'll feel better soon!